I love gardening projects, especially the ones that calls for recycled materials! I picked up this herb garden kit from the annual 2010 NYC Grows. The kit includes everything you need to build a beginner herb garden. However you don't necessary need the kit to build your herb garden. The only thing you really need to buy are the seeds, you probably have the rest of the materials in your kitchen. Next time when you finish a box of cereal, save the box and the plastic bag and you can build your own herb garden!
1 empty cereal box (don't throw away the cereal plastic bag)
1 Parsley seeds
1 Basil seeds
4-5 cups of container soil
Tape (or glue gun)
Scissors (or razor blade)
1. Remove the plastic cereal bag from the cereal box and set aside.
2. Use a hot glue gun (or tape) to seal both ends of the box. If you are using glue, make sure the glue is cooled before proceeding.
3. Laying the box flat, use scissors (or razor blade) to cut the front panel of the box. Leave a 1/2 inch edge around the box. I didn't leave 1/2 inch edge all around so I had to tie a string around it to keep the box in its shape.
4. Cut out the center of one side of the plastic cereal bag and place it in the box as liner.
5. Pour soil into the plastic lined cereal box.
6. Plant basil and parsley seeds according to the seed packet instructions.
7. Water according to the seed instructions. Put a tray underneath the box to catch any water that drains out. Overtime the box will warp from watering.
8. After the seeds have developed two sets of leaves, it's time to transplant it to a larger container.
Enjoy your container herb garden made from a cereal box!